When it comes to making TV serials, she is the best. When it comes to producing movies, she is better than the best. TWF correspondent Sreya Basu in conversation with Ekta Kapoor in Mumbai as she relishes the success of Lootera and awaits the release of Once Upon a Time In Mumbaai Dobara

You are considered as an expert when it comes to marketing a film. Do you think spending crores on promotions really work?
See, it depends on the content. If the content is not good, then even if you put a Rs. 5-crore banner or call up somebody, the film won't work.

How is that your marketing fundas always work for your films?
Believe me, I spend the same effort that others put in for their films. I am just being lucky that I get great directors who keep giving me great contents to market. I don't think marketing is anything without great content.

And I have to say I have an incredible team who takes its job very seriously. We are not a company (Balaji Motion Pictures, the sister company of Balaji Telefilms) that has thousands of crores (of money). 
We don't have international finances. So when we make a film we try to put as much as we can to see that the works that people like Milan Sir (Luthria, director of Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai, The Dirty Picture and Once Upon a Time In Mumbaai Dobara) and Vikramaditya Sir (Motwane, director of Lootera) do, reach maximum people. After that it's the content that does the talking. 

What makes you more tensed - release of a new film or airing of a new serial?
Release of a film for sure. It (film production) is like a gamble. Whatever you do on one weekend you come to know this way or that way. On television, the first and the last TRPs (Television Rating Points) can really grow your show. 

It is exciting but scary too because for us, it's one Friday. You don't have time to grow it or see how it goes after two weeks or change characterization if it's not working or kill someone and then again bring him/her back . . . it is not happening here. 

I was a spoilt brat. While my brother (Tusshar Kapoor) would never tell anyone that he is Jeetendra's son, I will go on flaunting my father's name to everyone. Later I realized it can't be like that. You have to be on your own. And the rest is history. God has been really kind to me. 

You once said you enjoy clubbing as much as you like visiting temples. 
Unfortunately, I don't enjoy going to clubs any more. But then, who says if you are religious, you can't enjoy yourself. If I feel like, I will go to Siddhivinayak (temple) on Tuesday and to a club on Wednesday. 

Nobody can dare stop me. You should not categorize a person. But this is the problem of our society today. That is why, if a girl wears a short skirt, she is put in a particular category.

And if you go to a mandir, you are also categorized. It is wrong. I can enjoy an adult comedy and pray to God with similar aplomb.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Design by Scripod | Blogger Theme by Scripod - Premium Blogger Templates | Scripod.com